When you notice mold growing in your home, your first instinct might be to grab the nearest bottle of bleach and a cleaning rag. It might seem simple to get rid of the mold then and there, but the process of removing mold is much more complicated than you’d think. Instead of trying to remove the mold on your own, put the cleaning supplies down and pick up the phone instead.
There are many reasons why you shouldn’t attempt to remove mold on your own. Removing mold is a delicate and precise process that’s best left to the professionals. If you’re planning on performing a DIY mold removal, learning about the dangers of DIY mold removal may change your mind.
You Might Miss Something
Are you 100 percent confident that you’ll be able to get rid of 100 percent of the mold? The tiniest missed spot of mold can continue to release contaminants into the air and endanger your health. Worse, the mold will eventually spread across your entire home again. You may have removed the visible mold in the home, but there might still be mold hiding in unsuspecting places, such as in wood or crawlspaces. A professional mold removal company will perform a thorough search of your home to ensure they find and deal with every last bit of mold.
No Indoor Air Quality Testing
Mold may not be the sole reason for your mysterious health problems. There’s a chance that you’ll remove every trace of visible mold from your home only to have your health problems continue. Mold spores can linger in the home even after the removal of visible mold. Mold can also hide in clever places, which means you may miss some during a DIY removal. There may be other contaminants that are contributing to your symptoms as well. Having an indoor air quality test performed will help you identify the types of contaminants that are present in your home. This will help you pinpoint the main cause of your symptoms so you can eliminate them for good.
Another one of the dangers of DIY mold removal is that it can compromise your health. Mold can lead to serious health problems, including skin rashes, difficulty breathing, and sinus congestion, especially in people with pre-existing breathing conditions and allergies. Cleaning the mold on your own involves directly exposing yourself to it for a prolonged period of time. For some, this experience will be unpleasant but tolerable. For others, it could be deadly. It doesn’t help that the go-to method for at-home mold removal often involves bleach and other harsh cleaners. This method isn’t particularly effective, and on top of that, it’s downright dangerous. You’ll be subject to prolonged chemical exposure, which can cause both immediate and long-term side effects.
A professional mold removal company, on the other hand, will come prepared with protective gear and state-of-the-art mold removal equipment. This allows them to remove the mold without worrying about mold or chemical exposure.
Looking for someone to handle mold removal and air quality testing in Connecticut? Connecticut Mold’s Stamford mold removal services will make your home mold-free again, so you can feel safe and breathe easy.